Enrollment requirements for Early Head Start and Head Start services are based on:
- The child’s age.
- Family income in the last 12 months or preceding calendar year.
- Whether the family or child qualifies as homeless.
- Whether the child is currently in foster or kinship care.
- The family’s use of TANF or SSI.
Enrollment factors may also include:
- Parental status: Whether the child lives with a single parent, pregnant mother, teen parent or non-biological custodian.
- Disability status: Whether the child has an IEP/IFSP, including whether the child has a disability, is suspected of having a disability or is referred by a qualified mental health professional.
Other possibly related circumstances:
- Terminal illness or death in the family.
- History of domestic violence.
- History of substance abuse.
- Referrals from social service agencies.
- The mental health of the parent(s).
- Non-English-speaking family.
- Recent immigrant or refugee family.
- Incarcerated parent.
- Parent(s) current active duty service in the military.